Saturday, June 21, 2008

all DRESSED up

I was online looking at some fashion websites for children's clothing and totally got a burst of inspiration. I love to do a variety of crafts, but last night, I wanted to design and sew. I came across the most gorgeous clothing for little girls...simply breath taking, truly an art. You can find these beautiful clothes here. After reviewing what dresses I had seen, I was already creating something I could make for Tessa. A spring dress with a color that you don't normally see on babies and toddlers...black. I have so much fabric, I just simply picked something out that I liked and began to design. This is definitely my FAVORITE creation yet. I hope you enjoy. It was very easy to make and only took me a couple of hours. I made it in one evening and will probably make more since they're perfect summer dresses. I used a basic black polka dot cotton. I lined only the bodice and zig zaged the hem. I used a yard and a quarter of fabric.

I love how the dress is long. It's hard to find dresses that are just the right length!
To close the back of the dress, I used round buttons, with ribbon loops. I did this for two reasons, 1) it's much easier than button holes, snaps, or a zipper. 2) I really like how it looks because it's not something you see on clothing very often.
Instead of making straps, it was much easier to use ribbons to make bows! The bow is securely sewn on so they cant come undone!To bring some color to the dress, I added this pin which is removable. I hot glued these buds together and sewed on a button in the center. I then glued it to the pin. I like this feature because I can make other pins with different flowers on them to give it a whole other look!

No comments: